Frequently Asked Questions

Development Approval Process

You need:
            a. A fully paid up Property Tax receipt?
            b. Proof of ownership of the land.
            c. Six copies of your building plan.

Any change to the structure of a building whether it be residential, commercial or industrial requires local planning authority.

The Local Authority requires architectural drawings for all forms of construction.

An authentic Parish Council contract is accompanied by a specific contract form.

Disaster Prevention

Voluntary service is vital to the success of disaster management, and your service is therefore, welcome. Please contact the Disaster Committee of Coordinator, or any other department to which you would like to give service, for specific guidelines.


All Building Fees are calculated based on the rates for the various structures (residential, commercial and industrial). Churches are calculated on the commercial rates.

According to the Regulations, a person shall not sell, offer for sale, advertise for sale or build upon any lot in a subdivision, unless and until approval has been previously given by the Local Planning Authority.

After you have completed the procedure, you should await approval in writing from the Parish Council, before erecting an advertising sign. The process is not complete until approval has been given by the Planning Committee.

You need to submit a written application to the Local Authority and pay the relevant fees, following which your application is considered by the relevant committee, including the Police. You will be informed of the decision in writing.

The Council at present has a weekly pay cycle. Bill payments are normally made on Fridays in accordance with the terms of the Agreement.

Ignorance of the Law is no excuse, therefore, this regulation set up by the Local Authority to organize vehicular traffic requires that residents as well as visitors pay the stipulated fee or face the appropriate fine.

The Financial Audit Act does not permit the Council to issue copies lost receipts, however, the Council can provide a letter certifying that a payment was made.

The cashier’s window at the Municipal Building, Lucea Square, is open Monday – Thursday 8:30a.m. – 5:00p.m., and Friday, 8:30a.m. – 4:00p.m.

The Council accepts all valid local and internationally issued Credit and Debit Cards. The MultiLink system is used for processing these cards. Payment Online should become available soon.

Commercial Services

All donations to the Hanover Infirmary are recognized and accounted for. In fact, it is routine for donors to receive acknowledgement and letters of appreciation.

Municipal Officers are licensed District Constables, whose duty it is to enforce the Law. They have all the powers of District Constables.

All applications for Spirit Licence are to be submitted to the local Clerk of Courts, located at the Resident Magistrate’s Court.

The Poor Relief Department offers a wide range of services to Indoor and Outdoor Poor, through the knowledge and experience of its Poor Relief Officers. A report may be made to the Poor Relief Department, who will investigate the need. A Poor Relief Officer will then make a recommendation to the Matron of the Infirmary who will act based on the resources available.


Municipal Officers reserve the right to exercise their discretion.